MICROBIOLOGIST TENURE-TRACK POSITION
The Centro de Investigación Científica y de Educación Superior de Ensenada CICESE, Baja California is seeking a qualified individual to fill a tenure-track position of Research Professor (“Investigador” in the official institutional dialect) in the Department of Microbiology of the Division of Experimental and Applied Biology.
The Investigador will be responsible for tackling microbiological problems of importance to regional agriculture (Plant Pathology, Nematology, and related areas). The Investigador must have the ability to generate and manage applied and/or basic research projects in these areas and to participate in collaborative and interdisciplinary research with other researchers at CICESE, government agencies or the private sector. The investigador would be expected to participate in the Life Sciences graduate program, teaching introductory and advanced courses and directing master’s and doctoral theses. The investigador would be expected to attract public and or private financing for his/her research projects and publish frequently in indexed journals.
- Doctoral degree in microbiology, agronomy, plant pathology, or the like.
- Preference will be given to applicants with postdoctoral experience in a recognized national or foreign institution.
- Detailed knowledge of experimental techniques in basic and applied microbiology (plant pathology, molecular biology, microscopy, etc.).
- Ability and enthusiasm for applied research.
- Ability to function both independently and in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to write successful projects to national and international agencies for funding.
- Posses the academic credentials to become a member of SNI (the Sistema Nacional de Investigadores or National Researchers System). http://www.conacyt.gob.mx/index.php/el-conacyt/sistema-nacional-de-investigadores
- Ability to advise graduate students.
- Fluency in Spanish and English (spoken and written). If Spanish is not the native language, willingness to learn in a short time is required.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter describing plans and interest in research and teaching
- Names and electronic addresses of three or more professionals from whom letters of recommendation will be requested.
- Complete list of publications.
- PDF copies of the most important articles.
Financial benefits are as follows:
- Salary according to the category assigned (Investigador Asociado, or Investigador Titular levels I to 4) after curriculum evaluation as defined by the Bylaws on Academic Personnel of CICESE.
- A substantial monthly stipend granted by CONACYT to members of the National Researchers System SNI.
- Annual institutional monetary incentives based on productivity.
- Insurance for major medical expenses and a bimonthly grant for living expenses (‘vales”).
Send documentation or request further information to Dra. Meritxell Riquelme Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The selection process will follow institutional guidelines.
General information about the city of Ensenada and CICESE:
Ensenada is the main port of Northwest Mexico. Located in a privileged place, with a temperate climate most of the year, the city has a growing population of approximately 500,000. Tourism, fishing, agriculture and wine industry are the most important activities in the economic development of the city.
CICESE is the largest of 27 research centers of CONACYT (The national science foundation of Mexico). CICESE has been in existence since 1973 and enjoys wide reputation in national and international circles for its academic excellence and training of graduate students. CICESE generates knowledge of basic importance and solves problems affecting the social and economy in Mexico. Together with CICESE two other adjoining academic institutions (UABC, the Autonomous University of Baja California and CNyN-UNAM, the Center of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology of the National University) create a vibrant multicampus academic atmosphere. Additionally, CICESE modern buildings offer spectacular views of the Ensenada bay. Located 100 km south of the US border, CICESE offers tremendous opportunities for collaboration with scientists from neighboring universities, including the University of California in San Diego, Riverside and Los Angeles, the San Diego State University and Arizona State University. An existing close collaboration with the Agriculture Experiment Station of the University of California in Riverside is critical for this position.