SFChronicle has an article on musroom poisining from Amanita phalloides over this holiday season. They come in a variety of colors during their development depending on moisture and their surroundings. These are definitely beautiful and attractive mushrooms, but they are not to be eaten! Please be sure of what you are have found before eating. Waiting for that spore print is worth it when in doubt (at all!). Get a copy of a good book especially if you are collecting in a new environment.
Also see Richard Eshelman’s survial from a mushroom poisoning experience.