Postdoctoral Scholar Positions at the Joint Genome Institute in Berkeley, CA
Apply at https://lbl.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/postdoctoral-scholar-2226
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. You will work as part of the Fungal and Algal Program in the Joint Genome Institute division investigating genomes and multi-omics of fungi and algae, both represent promising targets for sustainable bioenergy. The key to algae’s potential as a renewable energy source involves the increase of algal biomass production. Fungi are critical for both the growth of plants and plant biomass decomposition and encode collections of enzymes and pathways to use for bioenergy applications. You will collect and analyze genomics, metabolomics, and other ‘omics’ data to model biological processes in these organisms. You will develop and use new approaches and tools for machine learning, metabolic reconstruction, and gene network analysis.
What You Will Do:
- Assemble, annotate and analyze genomes of fungi and algae using JGI annotation pipelines and comparative genomics tools.
- Use advanced cheminformatic and bioinformatic approaches to analyze and integrate the metabolomics results with other omics datasets.
- Develop and apply innovative computational and mass spectrometry-based metabolite profiling approaches to characterize algal or fungal metabolism including novel secondary metabolites and their pathways.
- Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals, release data onto public data repositories, and present findings at seminars and conferences.
- Collaborate with other members of the program project research team both onsite/offsite team at Berkeley Lab.
- Develop Unix-based scripts for data analysis; analyze data using both high-performance computing and web-based genome portals.
What Is Required:
- Ph.D. within the last three years in Life Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics, or related field.
- Experience with genomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics or related analytical approaches
- Strong cheminformatic or bioinformatics training.
- Robust understanding of organismal biology, metabolic processes, and gene networks.
- Programing experience (python/perl) and familiarity with database systems (MySQL).
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with technical and scientific staff.
- Proven ability to perform independent research and organize data for publications and presentations.
- Effective oral and written communication skills to present findings at group meetings and conferences, and to publish results.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in algal or fungal characterization.
- Strong background in LC/MS/MS.
- Strong publication record.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Click here to apply: https://lbl.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/postdoctoral-scholar-2226
Contact: Igor Grigoriev, PhD
Head, Fungal and Algal Genomics Program, DOE Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, CA
Senior Scientist, Environmental Genomics and Systems Biology Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
Adjunct Professor, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA