In an effort to promote the diversity of women in fungal and oomycete biology research we started a list of Women Researchers in Fungi & Oomycetes (#WRIFO) in our fields. We hope this will make it easier for conference, seminar and award committees to consider a broad pool of candidates when inviting speakers or nominating individuals.
We seeded the WRIFO list with 150 women whose research we know or who were suggested by colleagues, but it is by no means complete. Please add names and add missing details to those already on the list. The WRIFO list is available as a google spreadsheet here (shortlink: http://s.fungidb.org/1SU45hk ). As an experiment in community dynamics WRIFO is an open sheet for editing. We will change this to “make comment-only” after a time to try to avoid getting overrun with spam. If you cannot add to the WRIFO list directly, comments on this post are accepted. However direct adding is preferred to avoid losing track of any suggestions.
As a test for how many will read directions:
- Please add new entries at the end of the sheet rather than trying to insert alphabetically. You can always re-sort the sheet by last name after entries are made
- List institution, include 2 letter country code in parentheses.
- Select region from the available options.
- Pick up to two general research areas from the drop down lists.
- Add specific Keywords for research. Make these as general as possible–a meeting organizer is much more likely to search “cytoskeleton”, than “tyrosinylated microtubules.”
- Include a laboratory website link. Use publicly available websites that do not require memberships to view
- Select the classification of career stage. Mapping this to job titles in the US
- Junior: Assistant Professor, Assistant Research Scientist, or equivalent
- Intermediate: Associate Professor, Associate Research Scientist, or equivalent
- Senior: Full Professor, Research Scientist or equivalent
Update 1: A landing page was made for info on WRIFO and where archive and Excel versions of the spreadsheet will be made available.